New businesses and start-ups can access a number of different opportunities through STEAMhouse.
Although there are numerous pathways to choose from once you become a STEAMhouse member (either through being a Sole Trader or by owning/setting up a new Limited Company), the GAMES@STEAMhouse initiative focusses on delivering content which helps you understand and launch your new venture, into either the games industry or even something related to games. It can be specifically a videogame you need help with developing, producing or taking to market, it could be something games-related (either digital or non-digital) or even gamification-based. You immediately benefit from 12 hours of targeted advice, where you will participate within consultancy meetings or group workshops, focused specifically upon video games design, production and business management.
What does STEAMhouse offer?
– Specialist gaming support
– Wrap around Business support
– Grants of up to £2500 to support prototyping and advice around Intellectual Property (IP)
– Co-working and project spaces for collaboration, working and meeting
– STEAMlab events – innovative challenge-based workshops for collective problem solving, we even run Game Jams (digital and non-digital)
– Access to well equipped print, wood, metal and digital workshops with equipment, tools and space for prototyping and product development in a wide range of materials.
– Support and advice from skilled Technicians with wide-ranging expertise
– Events and masterclasses bringing together researchers, experts and businesses
– Networking opportunities
“The thing we use STEAMhouse for currently is to make changes to our prototype using expensive kit that we can’t do elsewhere. I honestly can’t sing STEAMhouse’s praises enough, we can’t believe there is this place in Birmingham that is free to use. It’s the magic ingredient – if you’re making a product, you don’t want to be anywhere else other than Birmingham and STEAMhouse.” – Jack Cornes, Hausbots Co-founder.
“Here at STEAMhouse, we are all professional artists, designers and entrepreneurs and we benefit creatively from working together and sharing ideas informally in the workshops. If you have an idea for a project for which you have to design a prototype – but don’t know where to turn for business advice, funding or technical knowhow, book onto the next tour of STEAMhouse and take it from there” – Bharti Parmar, Artist.
Don’t hesitate, sign up to a free tour!
Step 1) Read through the STEAMhouse prospectus for full details of the different routes and eligibility requirements. Find what interests you.
Step 2) Come and visit – we strongly recommend you visit us on one of our free tours to see the space for yourself, meet the team and find out more about the support on offer. Book your place here.
If you just can’t wait to visit us, you can apply to join by completing the STEAMhouse Registration Form and sending it to email@example.com
Then, sit comfortably. We review registrations regularly to check eligibility and suitability for the programmes and aim to be back in touch within a month.