Careful design is an essential element of any XR product or experience. Here, Innovation Manager Harry Conway shares his advice on applying certain design principles and methods of thinking to your future XR project.
Extended Reality technologies, including virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), and mixed reality, offer exciting possibilities for businesses to reach new audiences, tell compelling stories, and engage customers in unique and captivating ways. However, if you’ve never ventured into the XR realm before, it can seem like uncharted territory. So, where should you begin?
When considering XR technologies for your project, it’s crucial to recognize the extraordinary advantages they bring to the table. XR should never feel like a mere bolt-on but should seamlessly enhance your messaging and storytelling in a way that no other technology can replicate. The goal is to create an experience that is brimming with joy, wonder, and that indescribable “wow” factor.
Think in terms of scale, space, and sound. For instance, in XR, you can craft a sculpture the size of a building and allow users to explore it from any angle they desire. There are few platforms or technologies that offer such limitless possibilities, making XR a powerful tool for creating unforgettable, immersive experiences that leave a lasting impact.
Why Content Design Matters in XR
If you’ve ever witnessed a user struggling with a new XR product or service, you’d likely find that the confusion often lies in the content or the interface. This is where content designers come to the rescue. Their job is to understand user needs and create concise, straightforward content that helps users achieve their goals while providing the wow factor. Clarity in content becomes paramount, especially when you’re dealing with new technologies and novel hardware.
But what if you don’t have a dedicated content designer? Don’t worry; you can still apply the principles to make your XR project successful.
If you’re new to commissioning an XR experience, you may want to consider the following points:
- Ensure Clear Messaging and User Guidance: XR interface design plays a crucial role in guiding users through immersive environments. Think of it as designing a video game where users explore a garden with boundaries that are seamlessly integrated into the experience. Clarity of messaging and user guidance is paramount in helping users navigate and interact within the XR space.
- Keep It Text Light: XR is all about visceral sensory experiences; this is your language and your medium. Embrace the power of visuals, sounds, and interactions to convey information. Minimize text to create a more immersive and engaging XR experience.
- Embrace Multi-Platform Functionality: XR technologies often span multiple platforms and devices. It’s crucial not to exclude audiences from the start. Ensure your design is adaptable and inclusive, catering to various XR hardware and software setups. A seamless, consistent experience across platforms is key to engaging a broader audience.
- Set Realistic Expectations: XR projects can get expensive, especially when dealing with animation and character rigging. Consider how to tell your story efficiently and cleverly within your budget constraints. Sometimes, less can be more, and innovative approaches can yield fantastic results without breaking the bank.
- Explore Varied XR Experiences: Immerse yourself in as many diverse XR experiences as possible to understand the full scope of what’s possible and where certain experiences may have fallen short. The more you explore, the better equipped you’ll be to design your own XR projects, drawing from the wealth of experiences to create something truly exceptional.
The good news is that you don’t need an extravagant budget to achieve these goals. Often, it’s about collaborating with the right experts in XR interface design, streamlining complex content, and ensuring accessibility for all users, making your XR project a success.
Be Open to the Right Solution
It’s essential for businesses exploring XR technologies to remain open to the idea that XR might not always be the best fit for their goals. The worst mistake one can make is attempting to shoehorn technology into a solution that doesn’t exist. Sometimes, traditional methods or other digital solutions may better serve your purpose. So, when embarking on your XR journey, always ensure that the technology aligns seamlessly with your objectives and doesn’t force a square peg into a round hole. Flexibility and adaptability are key as you navigate this exciting realm of innovation.
In the XR space, your content and storytelling can make or break the user experience. By focusing on user needs, clarity, and accessibility, you can create XR products and experiences that captivate and engage your audience. Don’t let inexperience hold you back; embrace the XR journey with the power of content and design on your side.
Ready to Dive into the XR World? Contact STEAMhouse Today!
If you’re eager to explore the art of the possible in the XR space and embark on the journey of commissioning your own XR experience, look no further than STEAMhouse. We’re here to guide you through the immersive world of Extended Reality, helping you unlock new opportunities to captivate, engage, and amaze your audience.
Our experts are ready to collaborate with you, providing insights and support to turn your XR ideas into reality. Don’t hesitate to reach out and take that first step into the future of digital storytelling and engagement.